Monday, October 30, 2017

October 30, 2017

Woohoo I'm in the field now! My area is the Forest of Dean and it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life. Like seriously it is incredible. I'll send some pictures. This area is also awesome because I'm living in Wales! A little town called Monmouth and the road signs are really weird because the Welsh word is always above the English word and Welsh is a weeeeeird language. It is a little trippy.

Anyway! We left the MTC Tuesday morning and arrived at the mission home around 11. After that we had lunch and met our trainers! Mine is Elder Staheli (pronounced staylee) and he is awesome! He's from Spanish Fork and has only been out for 5 months so he's pretty new too! He's great though. Another bonus to being in the Forest is that we have a car because it's mainly small towns out here and it takes a while to get anywhere. We bump mad hymns on the road.

It's been a pretty solid week I guess but it's all the same to me because I have nothing to compare it to! Somebody let us in to teach while we were knocking doors on my first day-which never happens-I've handed out like 5 Books of Mormon, and we committed somebody to baptism yesterday! Pretty cool hey? We also have 2 people committed to baptism from before I got here.

Funny story! We had district meeting on Thursday and then we went on splits to go door knocking. I was with Elder Johnson, who went to Alta, and we were talking to this one guy at his door but he was standing like 3 feet back from the door, like awkwardly far away. We asked him if he was religious at all/if he read the bible and then he walked to the door, stuck his head out really close to us, and said, "I read the bible......when I had cancer," in the most quiet voice. He then retreated to his house again. We somehow started talking about dogs so he asked us what dog spelled backwards is. It is of course God and he says, "that's why they watch after us." He then told us a story! One day his wife fell down the stairs and his spoodle (a spaniel/poodle mix) was the first to get to her. He then said, "You know what she did? She gave her the kiss of life!" I have absolutely no idea what that is but when we left Elder Johnson and I were so weirded out I don't even know how to describe it.

To answer some of your questions! Elder Staheli is a good guy and i really like him.  I only serve in one branch but it really should be a ward. We had 129 people there yesterday. I am adjusted to the time, I was after about 1.5 weeks. England is pretty different than America. The whole overall appearance is very old, the roads are tiny with no center lanes, 90% of cars are hatchback, houses are waaay smaller, the people look different, they dress differently, different stores, just about anything you can think of! Despite all that though it does bear a slight resemblance to home if you look for it. It's kind of hard to describe. It is really cool though! Country roads are sided by massive hedges and are very curvy some of them are 2 way but barely have enough room for one car. For some reason they all have a speed limit of 60 mph which would flip any normal car. Nobody drives to the speed limit anywhere because the roads are so tight. I'm pretty used to being on the opposite side of the road but sometimes it's still a little weird. I can mostly understand people but sometimes they talk too fast or say a word that I have no idea what it means. All is well though! 

I also saw my first castle! Grosmont castle which is way out in the middle of nowhere. According to Elder Staheli it was pretty weak as far as castles go but I thought it was pretty cool.

Exciting stuff! More exciting stuff to come! Apparently a cathedral that they shot a good chunk of Harry Potter at is in my area so hopefully we go to that! There are also 10 castles! Crazy!

Love y'all! Cheers!

Elder Lott


Me in my favorite part of our flat

My companion Elder Staheli

Origami Yoda hanging from the light in our flat

Grosmont Castle

The view from a wall on Grosmont Castle

A cool panoramic from a viewpoint we found

No comments:

Post a Comment

FINALE

Hello Everybody! Sorry I've been absolute rubbish at sending out weekly emails this last transfer.  It's been a really good 6 week...